If you share your Windows PC with a family member and want to maintain your privacy, the only method to keep others from invading is password-protecting the apps. Various third-party apps do it for you; for instance, My Lockbox. Such apps offer free and paid tiers, and the advantage comes along simultaneously. Other apps like Folder Guard can also protect apps; however, it is a paid service once the free trial ends.
Talking about My Lockbox, it is a great app to protect your files and folders, but it has some setbacks. In case someone is logged in with the Administrator account, they can change the settings and get access to all the apps or folders. Though it isn’t as easy as it sounds, it’s not impossible either.
If you want to password-protect your data, you can use other methods than installing third-party apps. For instance, if your kids are working on your PC, set up screen time using parental control settings offered by Windows 10.
Additionally, you can create multiple user accounts for separate access to files and folders. You can also create an encrypted container file and download the app to the location where you want to protect the files.
If you still want to stick to using the third-party app for password-protecting your data, here’s a guide for the same.
How to Lock Apps on Windows 10?
The steps to use the My Lockbox app and password-protect apps on Windows 10 are:
- Visit the FSPro Labs website.
- Search for the ‘My Lockbox’ app and open the result.
- Hit the ‘Download’ button and install the app on your PC.
- Once downloaded, the setup will appear on the home screen. Double-tap the same and launch the app.
- The setup process will begin. The first two windows will prompt you to enter your language and agree to the license agreement.
- Select a folder where you would install the app.
Note: To change the location, click on the ‘Browse’ button and select the one suitable for you.
- Once you’ve selected the location, hit the ‘Next’ button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and click on the ‘Install’ button in the last window. The installation process will begin.
- Once installed, double-click on the icon of the app.
- Enter a password in the given space twice for confirmation.
Note: You can also add a hint and an email address to recover the password if you forget it.
- Click on the ‘Ok’ option to continue.
- Select the folder which contains the apps that you want to password-protect. Once done, nobody will be able to open the app from the Start menu or any other way.
- Open the folder that contains the app. Select the app and click ‘Ok.’
- Re-check the file path and hit the ‘Ok’ button.
Now, the folders will become password-protected.
How to Open Apps Once Password Protected?
The steps to open the apps once they become password protected are:
- Launch the ‘My Lockbox’ app and enter the password you’ve set.
- Click on the ‘Ok’ option.
- All the data of the locked folder will appear in the ‘My Lockbox File Browser.’ Double-tap on the app to open the same.
If you know you’re going to use the PC for a while, there’s no need to enable protection over and over. However, once you’ve done your work, tap on the ‘Enable Protection’ option in the upper-right corner of the My Lockbox app. Therefore, whenever you’ve to use the app again, it’ll be required to enter the password and unlock it.
If you’re one of those, who remain conscious about your data getting leaked or someone trying to invade your privacy, consider using the My Lockbox app.