Global sugar reduction, sugar substitute products are favored
The serious harm of eating too much sugar to the human body has been widely recognized. In July 2019, the National Health and Medical Commission issued the “Healthy China Action (2019-2030)”, which clearly put forward the action plan of “three reductions and three health”, and included “sugar reduction” as the focus of future national nutrition work. The World Health Organization has also been calling on governments to impose a special tax of at least 20% on sugar-sweetened beverages. In recent years, countries around the world have tried to levy a “sugar tax”. With the help of policies and consumers’ increasing emphasis on health, sugar-free products have ushered in a good opportunity for development, and the choice of sweeteners has also become the focus of the industry. In order to get rid of the “sweet burden” brought by white sugar, granulated sugar, sucrose, etc., in recent years, sugar substitute products such as aspartame, acesulfame potassium, sucralose, xylitol, stevia, erythritol, etc. have appeared one after another. , so that the food brings extremely low calories under the same sweet taste, which greatly satisfies people’s desire for healthy sweetness.
Industry competition, erythritol emerges
Before 2019, the domestic sugar replacement battle was more focused on aspartame and acesulfame. Today, sucralose and erythritol have emerged. Compared with the previous generation of sweeteners, sucralose and erythritol not only have cost advantages, but also have little controversy in side effects and taste, and are considered to be better sugar substitute products. Among them: Erythritol naturally exists in fruits such as pears, melons and grapes. It is the only sugar alcohol produced by fermentation and the only sugar alcohol officially recognized by China as a “zero energy” sugar alcohol. In fact, as early as 1990, erythritol was used in Japan in candy, chocolate, soft drinks, chewing gum, yogurt, fillings, biscuit coatings, jellies, jams, and sugar substitutes. Later, erythritol was widely used in food, health products and other fields in Europe and the United States and other countries. The domestic production and use of erythritol is relatively late. In 2004, Baolingbao Company realized the industrialized production of erythritol in China. At present, with the continuous growth of market demand, the domestic production capacity of erythritol is expanding rapidly.
Three advantages to help open the application market
As a new type of glycogen ingredient market, erythritol is called “sugar upstart” in the industry, mainly due to its three unique advantages. One is zero heat. Due to the small molecular weight of erythritol, it is easily absorbed by the human body. At the same time, only a small amount of erythritol absorbed by the human body enters the human large intestine and is fermented by microorganisms. 80% of erythritol enters the human blood after being eaten by the human body, but cannot be catabolized by enzymes in the human body, does not provide energy for the body, does not participate in sugar metabolism, and can only be excreted from the human body through urine. The second is high tolerance. The human body’s tolerance to erythritol is 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight, which is higher than xylitol, lactitol and maltitol. The main reason is that erythritol has a small molecular weight and less absorption, and is mainly excreted through urine. Thereby avoiding the occurrence of diarrhea caused by hypertonicity, and avoiding the phenomenon of flatulence caused by intestinal bacterial fermentation. The third is suitable for diabetic patients. Erythritol does not affect blood sugar or insulin levels in single-dose and 14-day clinical studies. Clinical studies in people with diabetes have concluded that it is safe to replace sucrose with erythritol in foods tailored for them.
Safety performance has long been recognized by the authority
As a food ingredient, the safety of erythritol has attracted much attention from all walks of life. Studies have long proven that 90% of ingested erythritol is excreted through the urine, and the remaining 10% is passed through the intestines, but the intestinal flora cannot metabolize erythritol, so it will not mess up the intestinal bacteria. group balance. The safety of erythritol as a food ingredient in its intended use has also been demonstrated through multiple safety studies in humans and animals, including short- and long-term feeding in animals, multigenerational reproduction, and teratogenicity studies. In 1997, erythritol was certified by the US FDA as a safe food ingredient, and in 1999, it was jointly approved by the World Food and Agriculture Organization and the World Health Organization as a special food sweetener, and its ADI (Tolerated Daily Intake) was “no requirement”. , which belongs to the highest safety category and is officially recognized for its safety.