I had never heard of Zoom till I started working for a bootstrapped Startup. We were low on resources and were looking for something Frugal. I gave it a try and never felt the need to change.
Reason why Zoom has overtaken big players like Microsoft and Google:
- The 5X5 grids of faces in zoom is something I had never seen before, neither in Skype nor Hangouts.
- My startup required 10–15 people to be able to join meetings and share screens for technical discussions. Zoom is the only solution that offered that for free at that time. It was solving all our problems and making our lives 10X easier. We could get upto 100 callers on line at once, while seeing up to 49 of them. This was not an option with Skype and Hangouts.
- Since our company was remote, having a feel of company culture and team environment was critical. We had standardized our company logo and tagline, using Zoom custom virtual backgrounds. We would also change fun custom backgrounds for virtual parties like Halloween
- Zoom made the video conferencing experience much more functional and collaborative. Users did not have to download the app to be able to attend the meeting. My job required me to travel but even then I was able to dial in to the meetings with my phone.
- I was sad to hear about their recent criticism on privacy issues but I am also happy that they are acting on it and recently announced Zoom 5.0
Coming to the main question, Zoom has out shined Microsoft and Google because of it’s customer focused approach. In my observation, established corporates struggle with excess of institutional control, which limits their ability to scale up innovations, in spite of having all the resources and inspiration. Zoom made it’s mark as a market leader because of it’s unique and easy to operate interface.