Education infrastructure, which includes buildings, classrooms, laboratories, and equipment, is an essential component of the learning environments at schools and universities. There is compelling evidence that good infrastructure contributes to improved instruction, higher student achievements, lower dropout rates, and other positive effects.
As the infrastructure of schools is recognised to have the following effects on educational quality, it is crucial to invest and spend money to improve it.
Attendance and degree completion:
Due to the quality of the instruction and infrastructure at the school, there are a lot of students who drop out. Numerous studies have demonstrated that students’ engagement and school completion are positively impacted by the physical state of the classrooms.
There is research that suggests instructors in schools with strong infrastructure have on average 10% lower absenteeism than teachers in schools with deficient infrastructure. This is because many schools lack the proper infrastructure. In fact, the study discovered that the impact of infrastructure on absenteeism reduction was bigger than that of teacher pay or the impact of administrative tolerance for absences.
Studies undertaken in the United States, such the one by the 21st Century School Fund in 2010, have discovered favourable results that are statistically significant between school infrastructure and standardised examinations to gauge learning processes in many sections of the country. Results were better with lower socioeconomic student levels.
What prerequisites exist for an effective school infrastructure?
Experts say that it must at least adhere to the criteria listed below:
• Comfort for students, teachers, and administrators: areas for teachers and students with proper ventilation, lighting, and temperature control; access to water, power, and the Internet; and sanitary facilities with appropriate sewage water drainage.
• libraries, labs for the natural sciences, information technology, physics, and chemistry, as well as libraries are places where rehearsals and practises can be developed.
• areas for talent development, as well as ones for sports, entertainment, and culture
To ensure that an institute plays a beneficial part in a child’s overall development, the following factors should be watched closely while developing the architecture of the institution:
• Infrastructure for students and teachers include comfortable temperatures, ventilation, lighting, water, electricity, internet access, sanitary services, and last but not least, roomy common areas for students.
• Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Computer labs are excellent places for kids to learn and develop. So are labs and specialised learning centres. These institutions educate children in fundamental academic subjects while also providing them with enjoyable and interesting activities. A comfortable and roomy library encourages reading, and given how quickly automation is developing, youngsters need access to IT labs in order to fully utilise their technological potential.
• Talent Development Facilities – One of the biggest problems with some institutions is that they have a propensity to devote the majority of their resources to the technical components of education while undervaluing the necessity of talent development facilities. There will always be certain kids who are more naturally creative, which highlights the necessity for cutting-edge amenities like music and art rooms. Schools who understood the need for sports facilities as well as the necessity to cater to the kids’ physical development and fitness levels were able to identify and nurture sportsmen and athletes’ talent at a young age. These extracurricular activities are ideal for fostering team-building exercises and the development of non-academic talents, which need equal consideration.
Using digital infrastructure to advance education:
showing that schools with strong technological capabilities are ten times more likely to increase student learning outcomes—involving roughly 1227 educators globally. According to the study, 91% of teachers who had access to sophisticated digital infrastructure achieved or surpassed their teaching objectives, and 92% saw improvements in students’ test results. However, 96% of educators saw an improvement in their students’ academic performance when they had access to assessment tools that supported students’ learning, such as sophisticated presentation software, collaborative technology, and interactive whiteboards.
The adaptability of a school is one of the most important advantages of digital infrastructure as technology revolutionises the education industry. Technology has made it possible for the education sector to continuously advance and change quickly.
Therefore, a child’s whole development depends not just on excellent education but also on a quality environment, and it is your responsibility as a parent to ensure that your child has access to both. One wise choice on your part has the power to alter their future and the person they become. Bangalore’s Soundarya School offers both high-quality instruction and excellent infrastructure for fostering a child’s development. It facilitates better learning and play environments for them.